Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 14:56:50 EST

> Similar system.  RRS plates but Foba small ballhead.  My major complaint
>  with the Foba is that it is sometimes iffy in the clamping.  I have
>  several times found that it clamped down and then later I found it had
>  loosened up.  Maybe was not square in the slot.  Last week this happened
>  with the Foba Large ballhead with the Pentax 6x7 on it.  The Pentax fell
>  from about 5 feet and landed on the prism top on a concrete and tile
>  floor.  Big dent, cracked prism inside and broke the glass plate on top
>  of the ground glass.
>
>  Sure put a dent in the profit margin on the job as well.
>
>  Donal
                   I never liked the fact that even the so-called safety stops
RRS offers only prevent sliding off from one direction.  My solution was to
remove the plate, secure it in the clamp and then take it to a machine shop
where I had them drill a hole through the clamp jaws, the plate, then through
the other side.  Then I tied a galvanized nail to the clamp knob using a piece
of lanyard (so it can't get lost) which slips through the hole and acts as a
secondary safety device.

Doc