Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 11:07:18 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:
> I use a Gitzo pan-tilt (two handle) head on the 347 and Arca Swiss B1 ball
> heads on the 3221 and 1349. I use Really Right Stuff (similar to Kirk)
> quick release plates on all of my cameras. The B1's have the quick release
> built-in. I have a quick release adapter on the Gitzo pan-tilt head.

Jim,
Similar system.  RRS plates but Foba small ballhead.  My major complaint
with the Foba is that it is sometimes iffy in the clamping.  I have
several times found that it clamped down and then later I found it had
loosened up.  Maybe was not square in the slot.  Last week this happened
with the Foba Large ballhead with the Pentax 6x7 on it.  The Pentax fell
from about 5 feet and landed on the prism top on a concrete and tile
floor.  Big dent, cracked prism inside and broke the glass plate on top
of the ground glass.

Sure put a dent in the profit margin on the job as well.

Donal
- ----
Donal Philby
San Diego