Subject: [Leica] Fogging/swirls inside 50mm Summarit
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 17:57:54 -0500

Hi All,

Here's the typical question from someone who didn't look through the lens
when the topic was in discussion a short while ago.

I have this like "out of the box" 50mm Summarit 1.5 and the camera to go
with it, plus several other lenses given to me by the widow of an ex-Wing
Commander friend in the Royal Canadian Air Force. Long story.

So today being quiet, I thought gee I should have a look in the case with
the gear from Red's widow, as I know there's a 50mm f1.5 on the camera.

Sure as hell I took the lens and shone a flash light through the lens front
to back and there it was! Damn!  Swirls as though it was a bad lens
cleaning, but on the inside element. Just to be sure it wasn't something on
the outer lelements I gave front and rear surfaces a "good scrubbing":) and
nothing happened, it's stll there.:(

So question, Does one send the lens to Leica and get it cleaned out? Or
just leave it? I don't use the camera at all, however it may come to pass I
will and I don't want to be screwing around with a buggered-up lens.

Suggestions or firm answer please. And for some reason I'm sure this was
addressed in the previous posts on this particular situation. Certainly I
apologize for not paying more attention at the time!

kindest regards,

ted