Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Street Photography in London
From: Joebikes <Joebikes@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 20:30:19 EST

Sometimes it may be necessary to take "secret" pictures. However, over the
years I have found that I get better pictures and learn more about those I am
using as models if I ask permission before taking pictures. I tell people I am
an artist, and the seems to explain the odd behavior of taking pictures of
strangers.

Taking pictures of other people is a complicated business, and one that
reveals cultural differences that may surprise us. Asking validates the
subject and establishes a valid working relationship. If you ask you don't
have to be fleet of foot. I agree that it is helpful not to look like the
stereotypic photographer with bags of equipment and great long lenses poking
out. Best to all. Joe Stephenson