Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome Processing
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 14:14:43 -0400

Bud -

If my ancient memory serves me correctly, Kodak sold its processing
facilities to Qualux several years ago in order to avoid a threatened
Justice Department monopoly suit (viz., Kodak both made and controlled
processing of the film).  In our area, Qualux "took over" the Kodak
processing lab at 1 Choke Cherry Road in Rockville, MD, and the quality of
all forms of processing went downhill - - Kodachrome, E-6 and
negative/print.  It was rather sad.

Somehow,Kodak has been able to reclaim control over some (or all?) the
processing facilities, which are now known as Kodalux. Whether they're run
under contract by Qualux, with Kodak quality control personnel on site, or
whether they're 100% Kodak personnel, I don't know. From my own experience,
E-6 processing is excellent, as is their development of negative film;
however, about a third of my wife's prints still come back out of focus
from negatives that are clearly *in*  focus when viewed via a loupe on a
light table. Haven't tried their Kodachrome processing as yet.

Just my two cents

Happy New Year!

George Berger
gberger@his.com