Subject: Re: [Leica] Seeking advice on lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 10:25:24 -0500

At 11:07 AM 1/3/98 +0100, Alf Breull wrote:
>Additionally, the US prices for Leitz/Leica glass are rather down
>(compared to the European ones), and you wouldn't get more than
>USD 400 for your coll Elmar or USD 300 for the Summarit, according
>to the IPG.
>
>So, what would you want to buy with the USD 700? A 90 M Summicron?
>- It's known for it's creaminess, but at f 2.0 it's rather comparable
>to the f 2.0-results of your 1.5 Summarit.

I don't know if it's fair to say that Leitz lens prices are "down" in the
US:  neither the collapsible Elmar nor the Summarit have ever cost much
more than they are selling for now.

The performance of a Summarit at f/1.5 and either version of the 90mm
Summicron at f/2 is quite a bit different, the Summicron being a stalwart
producer of surprisingly sharp pictures wide-open, unlike the Summarit.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!