Subject: Re: [Leica] R zoom lens...
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 15:19:55 -0500

TM wrote:

<<the Leica System show that Leica has discontinued making any
fixed focal length R lenses above 280 mm. Instead, Leica has created the
APO-TELYT-R modular system. In order to buy into that system one must
shell out $7,740 for the minimal configuration alone.>>>>

TM:

If you would like a look at the price in Canadian dollars, the same item is
approximately, $11,223.00!!!!  How's that grab you? :)

<<<Gads, that leaves long-range, fast telephoto lens affordablity amongst
wealthy amateurs and pros as well as men and women who shoot pictures for a
living and can deduct camera equipment expenses on their tax returns.>>>

Yeah well it sure shakes the pocket book when that isn't the complete
system! And even if one can write it off as a capital expense in the
company, you still have to earn the money to pay for it. It takes a pile of
well paying assignments and stock material sold when you get into that
league of lenses.

At one time I berated Leica for charging what they did for the 400mm 2.8
and that not too many photographers could afford to buy them.  The response
was, "Are you saying then, that if you can't afford to buy a Porsche, then
they shouldn't be made?" Touche'

So if one is in the big time Leica user line-up and you wish to have the
best tools to do the job, one better be a very successful businesman or a
hell of a good photographer. Unfortunately I'm a lousy businessman but  not
to bad a shooter :) and like many others I have to save the dollars until I
can buy.:)

<<<but for Leica to price so many of its fans out of the long-range tele
lens format is absurd!!!>>>>>

I guess Leica is sort of caught between a rock and a hard place on this. On
the one hand no matter what lens they make, we the users expect a
particular quality that only they create. And to give us the quality we
expect, it costs a pile of money.

Imagine if they turned out a "cheapie" 400 or 600 and it didn't do what we
Leica expected. Hell everyone of us would be on their case about inferior
quality and just ragging their butts. So like the Porsche analogy, I guess
if we want Leica quality, then we better be prepared to pay the price.
Unfortunately.

ted