Subject: Re: [Leica] R zoom lens...
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 17:52:43 -0800

TM wrote:

> Ted: Thank you for your insight. It corresponds with what I suspected
> all along, and it brings to mind a persistent irritation I've had for a
> long time: Both Wall Street Camera's Shutterbug ad and Leica's 1997
> Handbook of the Leica System show that Leica has discontinued making any
> fixed focal length R lenses above 280 mm. Instead, Leica has created the
> APO-TELYT-R modular system. In order to buy into that system one must
> shell out $7,740 for the minimal configuration alone. Gads, that leaves
> long-range, fast telephoto lens affordablity amongst wealthy amateurs
> and pros as well as men and women who shoot pictures for a living and
> can deduct camera equipment expenses on their tax returns.

I think you will find that the new modular is not a whole lot more
expensive than the original 280.  And if you look at Nikon prices, Leica
is not a lot more.  My studio mate recently paid almost $12,000 for a
Nikkor 600 f/4.  A friend who shoots all the big sports for SI and other
mags saw brochure on my desk one day and added up Nikkor versus Leica
for the long glass he uses and went away wondering if he shold switch,
since not insurmountable differences.

I just wish Leica would make a 500 f/4. It is perfect for sailing
photography--long enough to get tight and light enough to hand hold and
fast enough to shoot Velvia.  For travel scenics with big sun or moon,
2X gives you 1000 f/8.

donal

- ---
Donal Philby