Subject: re: [Leica] CL & CLE Etiology
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:14:33 -0600

> I have no doubt that Solms will produce a CL2 based on both the CL and CLE. I
> never had illusions that the CL/CLE design would replace the M Leicas. And I
> never felt that the M Leica should go electronic to the degree that the CLE
> did. The CL is more innovative that the CLE in physical design. But it took
> getting used to.

They would be wise to do so. Not to replace the M but to supplement it.
Contax, with their incredibly successful G cameras, have proven there is a
considerable market for an upper-end electronic interchangeable-lens
rangefinder, and it seems a natural market for Leica to tap.

But then, when it takes them 1-1/3 years to make an R8 winder work, and it
may take them 2+ years to make a motor drive work, I tend to suspect that
electronics is not Leica's strength.

Larry