Subject: Re: [Leica] Finder usage
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 13:34:53 EST

Alf, If you can find old LTM and M bodies to take apart, do it.In the late
80's I picked up a bunch of LTM's from a dealer (40 in all), they were all in
rotten shape, but i spent month dissasembling them and trying to reassemble
them. All in all I got about 25 working cameras going as well as a large
plastic bag with parts left over. The working cameras become christmas
cards/present for friends and early rapidwinder customers in 1988 and the
parts were donated to other Leica "dissasemblers". great fun and it also gives
you an idea of how well designed the Leica's are. Very little superflous parts
and incredible complex viewfinders. Even today i think the M6 viewfinder
contains almost 1/3 of the total parts in the camera.
You can spent a lot of evenings dissecting the camera and trying to get it
together too.The lenses I have never managed to do, I have managed to get them
apart, but so far they have never gotten back together properly! There are
certain times when you admit defeat and send the parts to someone who knows
and other times when all the pieces go into a plastic bag and stuck in the
back of a drawer, never to see daylight again.
 Tom A