Subject: [Leica] Angenieux - ZOOM for LeicaFlex - Query
From: "Harry Bass" <hwbass@hbrf.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 98 18:31:33 -0500

Folks:

This list has created some fluidity in some tired 71 year old veins!

In my early twenties, I got my first Leica; but as the back weakened thru the years, I grew tired of foreign
travel with two or three camera bodies and an assortment of different focal length lenses.

For the past 20+ years, my travel camera has been first a Canon w/ Tamaron ZOOM, and more recently
a Pentax Plus ZOOM . I do not do professional shooting. The fast films and good, small flashes have enabled me
to get all of the Cathederal Dome interiors I wanted - and not to shabby. :)

Since I can no longer access the second floor of my house, I asked an associate to see whatever was in my
"secure" camera closet. Was I in for a surprise!! Amazing what one can forget about over a period of a couple
of decades. (Out of sight, out of mind!!)

Leica/Leitz pamphlets, instruction books, Leica books, lenses, cameras, and accessories. What a ball I have had
for the past two days recalling the past via this small hoard.

Found 3 M2s, and three LeicaFlexes - one a LEICAFLEX w/ meter above the lens, one a LEICAFLEX SL (which I believe
meters thru the lense), and a LEICAFLEX MOT (with corroded battery case :(  ) I also remember having purchased
40 years ago a secondhand early Leica with the tubular view finder on top of the body, an ELMAR 50/3.5 lens, with a
silver locking spring on the front of the body to the right of the lense - not sure what the model is called, but it looked
neat back then, and I sent it in for a rework. Haven't located it yet, but I know it's SOMEWHERE. I'm trying to get my
affairs in order, so unknowing family members don't toss out my "Treasures" thru ignorance when I am no longer
on "The right side of the grass".

My objective is to leave all of the "good" equipment to a Numismatic research foundation that I  have set up. It will
be primarily interested in macrophotography and photomicrography (coins and currency) for eventual mounting on
a World Wide Web site that I have set up for the purpose. Ability to fill a full 35mm frame with single side color shots
of very small coins (size of a little finger thumb nail) up thru silver dollar size.

I no longer have a clue as to which lenses and bodies to use for what, but I suspect that the TTL MOT would be the best
option from what I have, but which lens to use beats me. Hell, I can't even what the ratios mean, as 1:5, 1:1.2, 1: 3 etc.
Is the "3" the object size diameter, and the "1" the "1" the measured image size diameter on the film?

I  have a wide assortment of lenses (probably a dozen) from a 21 wide angle up thru (I believe) a 150. Can't remember
which lenses go with which bodies though - M2s or Leicaflex. I also have a zoom stereo microscope w/ camera port on
top for photomicrography (and here again, which camera body and which lens to use).

One item in particular I am curious about as to utility/quality and value is a ZOOM lens with "LENS MADE IN FRANCE
FOR LEITZ - LEICAFLEX" on its barrel. It is further barrel identified with
"P.. ANGENIEUX PARIS     ANGENIEUX-ZOOM 1:2.8 / 45-90 mm (Serial #: "No1237911". Is it a "keeper"?

Rather than clutter the mail list with a surfeit of replies, feel free to respond (should you be so inclined) to me personally
at my EMail address below.

Thanks for "listening"!!!

Cordially,

Harry Bass