Subject: Re: [Leica] Sender: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
From: CHKARNES <CHKARNES@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 00:15:45 EST

<<  I own a nice Leica III (black) # 1224xx.  The lens has no serial number
 on the outside.  It is a 50 mm Elmar.  Were the lenses produced in that era
 (1933)
 without serial number at all or is the number engraved somewhere  inside?

 Thank you for your attention.

 Robert B. >>

Robert,
Use a magnifying glass and a bright light and inspect the ring that surrounds
the front lens element on the front of the lens. There should be very small
numbers engraved in the ring that holds the front lens element in place, but
it is very hard to see.
And congratulations on your jewel of a camera. I, too, have one from five
years later -- 1938. It's a IIIb.
Charlie