Subject: [Leica] Hand Made Glass?
From: Myers Pete <MyersPete@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:10:12 EST

Hi LUGnuts:

I am writing this with humor. I am not serious.

Does Leica make their lenses out of hand made glass? The reason I ask is that
It has been two months that I have been waiting on my R35mmf2ROM. You might
recall that I did get one delivered, but the multi-coating was defective on
the front element.

I am happy that Leica is hand checking my next lens - but it sure would do me
more good having it then thinking about how useful it will be to my work!

The other thing that surprises me is in regard to filters. I like the Leica
filters. I used B&W filters for a number of years, but have had some quality
problems in recent times and had troubles cleaning the multi-coated filters.
Why, I dont know, but they are tougher to clean then Leica's or Contax filters
- - go figure! At least that has been my experience.

The problem is that I order Leica filters and it takes as long or longer then
the lens to get here to get common filters. E55 UVs, yellow or orange should
not be a major problem. Would you not think that they have a room full of
them? Apparently not.

I'm growing old. hee hee hee

Also, I am still battling the R8 viewing screen 'grit' problem. Any one know
if Contax makes a manual screen with focusing aides ( split or microprism)
that has a 'laser matte' type screen? As in 'no grit'.

At this rate, I am going to be an M user! hee hee hee

Thanks for all your good cheer! Somehow bitching to my wife about my missing
lens only gets me 'the look'. hee hee hee (Actually, she is very sweet about
it.)

Pete Myers

PS I wrote this very late and my brain is dead, so forgive the horrible
english.