Subject: Re: [Leica] Does the R8 viewfinder really display 93% of the image?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 18:50:28 -0800

Pascal wrote:

> I am being troubled by the R8 viewfinder. The manual says that it covers
> 93% of the image (96% vertically and 97% horizontally). Leica claims that
> this corresponds to the usable or "viewable" image you get with framed
> slides.
>
> However, I have quite often experienced that feet are "cut off" on my
> pictures (slides or photos) although I am quite positive that they were
> completely visible in the finder at the time the picture was taken. This
> happened a lot of times. Right now, I have to foresee this by adding more
> space at the bottom of the image. By the way, this only seems to be
> happening at the bottom of the image (but it would in any case be less
> noticeable at the upper side).
>
> I checked with the development center about this: they claim it is the
> camera and not them. Indeed, I carefully checked negatives, and this
> seems to prove they're right. Of course, there is some loss when
> printing, but this does not fully explain the extent of the loss I am
> experiencing.
>
> Anyone having made the same observation?
 Pascal,

Mount camera on tripod.  Focus and frame on something where the bottom
cutoff is easy to note.  Open back of camera and put a piece of tissue
paper or a spare ground glass across the film plane and look at the
image and compare to finder image.  It could be mirror not aligned.

This is easiest to do in a room with camera pointed toward window.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego