Subject: [Leica] Hoya Glass
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:05:22 -0500

At 04:09 AM 1/18/98 -0500, Carsten wrote:
>hm, I saw those cases when I was there in September... Actually Hoya
>doesn=B4t only make filters for Leica, they also deliver optical glass for
>lenses (as do Schott and probably some other companies).

I don't believe Leica uses Hoya filters -- I think all of the
Leica-marketed filters are Heliopan.  But Hoya glass IS used in a bunch of
the more exotic R lenses -- the last word I had from Solms was that M
lenses used Schott glass.  But who knows for certain?

In any event, Leica determines what glass it needs and sets the specs.  It
doesn't matter whether the glass comes from Hoya or Corning or Schott or St
Gobain or wherever, so long as it meets these specs.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!