Subject: Re: [Leica] That 'grit' thing on R8 screens
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 98 17:32:40 +0100

On 18-01-1998 09:44 Myers Pete wrote:
(snip)
>Regarding the 'grit' I see in the R8 viewfinder with the current screens:
>
>Perhaps its just me, but I see a strong patterned grit in the finder -
>looking
>like ground glass. It shows up the most in viewing blue sky or anything of
>uniform and textureless surface.
>
>Both the Canon 1N and the F5 have laser matte screens. They have no focusing
>aids, so the original screens are made up from a mold produced by a laser
>engraving, creating very small facets of uniform size, shape and smoothness.
>It creates a very bright view in the finder that is smooth as smooth can be.
>You never seem to see the finder, but look through the lens. I have more
>experince with the 1N in this regard.
(snip)
>Pete Myers

This was one of the biggest negative points mentioned by the French
magazine Chasseur d'Images in their test of the Leica R8 at the beginning
of 1997. Although Leica claims that they used a new viewfinder screen
with more brightness than previous models, this could not be confirmed by
objective testing. Chasseur d'Images concluded that there is no practical
difference between the screen in the R8 and the one in the R7.
Also, Chasseur found that the viewfinder screen is actually brighter in
the Nikon F5 and Canon EOS 1N. They said that the screen technology used
by Leica is somewhat less state-of-the-art, inspite of their claims to
the contrary.
This seems to confirm your remarks, Pete.

Pascal

Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet