Subject: Re: [Leica] That 'grit' thing on R8 screens
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:09:02 -0600

At 03:44 AM 1/18/98 -0500, you wrote:

>So, this is not just a practical question - although that is most of the
>motivation for me - but also an inquary to the historic approach to screens
>for SLRs. I must admit at age 38 to have missed a lot in this regard having
>grown up in an autofocus age.

For me it is a practical question. It's a balancing act. AF cameras don't
need screens that aid manual focusing, so you've been spoiled. Bright
screens can often make the image in the viewfinder cleaner, but focusing
accuracy goes down. Leica's main concern is performance on film, not the
viewfinder. The R8 seems to have the right combination to me.

And couple of pros I know who have used it say they prefer the R8's
viewfinder to any other they've seen in an SLR. It may not be as bright, or
brighter than an F5 or EOS1n, but focusing is more sure and reliable. R8
users don't have AF to rely on, so brightness is secondary to focusing
accuracy.

Good luck finding what you want.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength
that will endure as long as life lasts.

Rachel Carson