Subject: Re: [Leica] Ring strobes - AND ASPH
From: CHKARNES <CHKARNES@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:11:29 EST

In a message dated 98-01-18 20:13:00 EST, Dennis wrote, in responding to Harry
Bass:

<<
When Harry Bass wrote:

 > I desire to do macro photography of coins. Needed are 1:1, 2:1, and 3:1
capabilities,
 > as well as the ranges 1:2, 1:3, etc., using Leicaflex, Leicaflex SL, and
Leicaflex SL2
 > with Bellows-R and supplementary close-up lenses.
 >
 > Considering the very close object to lens front distances that will be
encountered,
 > are there strobe ring lights available for such an application, and what
are they
 > (make/source)?

 Harry,

 I would recommend you get a TTL flash capable body, it will make
 exposure with a ringlight a snap.  Sorry I don't know which R has TTL
 flash.

 For ringlights, take a look at the Sunpak DX-8R at:

 http://www.sunpak.com/dx8r.html

Harry and Dennis;
I recommend against using a ringlight whether or not you use a TTL flash. A
ringlight will produce very flat lighting that will not reproduce the texture
of the coins very well at all. On the other hand, using strobes from both
sides will allow the texture -- the relief -- of the coins to come out. You
can vary the intensity of the two side lights, by having one strong and the
other weak, to control the reproduction of the relief.
Charlie