Subject: Re: [Leica] 28 mm alternatives
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:55:51 +0900

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:59:30 -0500, Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
wrote:

>Are you thinking about getting the whole GR-1, or just the lens to bolt =
on=20
>your Leica? =20
I was thinking about the lens, which is called the GR, not GR-1.  I
didn't get the name right...

>I've seen some=20
>entirely acceptable photographs which were laid down by that lens;  but =
so=20
>far, not one has had the visceral appeal of a decent example of imaging =
by=20
>modern Leica glass. =20
Sigh.  Are you trying to tell me there's no such thing as a free
lunch?  Can't get something for nothing?  Can't get Leica quality at
Ricoh prices?  My mind and eyes keep telling me this; my wallet keeps
trying to convince me otherwise!

>Question: is performance at f/2.8 of any particular interest?  The =
newest M=20
>28mm is unusually, improbably, impossibly good wide open. =20
Double sigh.  Yeah, I'd want to use it wide-open.  Probably not all
the time, but a fair amount.  My wallet doesn't appreciate where
you're leading me.......=20

>The GR-1's exposure=20
>program, interestingly, jumps immediately from f/2.8 to f/4 at=20
>still-difficult-to-handhold shutter speeds, stays there until the =
shutter=20
>speeds get more sensible, then starts stopping down some more.  This may=
 tell=20
>us something about what the GR-1's designers know about the lens...
Sounds like it would make a pretty interesting curve on a chart!
Guess I'll just have to keep pondering whether the Elmarit's superior
performance is worth the extra cost, size and weight.

Thanks for your thoughts...

PB

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan