Subject: Re: [Leica] deception -- None
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:00:36 -0500 (EST)

Even the cheap 50mm
f/1.8 [Nikon AF] [used with N8008] is much sharper that the summicron (a
1960s model)... I don't know whether I will come back to the M2 when I get it
back... --Thib. ([] are mine -- BR)
Thib.

That 50mm Nikkor 1.8AF is one of the best lenses Nikon makes. The price has
nothing to do with the true value of that lens. I use it and I know what it
can do.
It's among the best made.

I never compare Leica M lenses to anyone elses. Why? Two different modes of
photography. The CRF is not a reflex. It has its own standards. It's a
particular approach to a subject by the photographer. If you choose to use an
M, you are directly confronting your subject. You are part of the camera. DOF
is calculated in your head. Exposure is almost instantaneous. You have
prefocussed for all intents and purposes. You are ahead of the shot. The
technique is distinct. If you don't intend to use your M2, you shouldn't be a
Leica photographer. It's not your style.
It never was. The reflex is your style.

I believe that I can use both styles; that I know when and where to use
either. There is no need for me to compare a Leica M with a reflex. It never
enters my mind.

Bob