Subject: Re: [Leica] deception -- None
From: FIGLIO4CAP <FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 01:12:48 EST

I have bought/sold and used Pentax, Nikon and Leica since the middle 1960's.
Many of the Nikon and Pentax lens were(are) sharper in terms of lines per mm.
However, the best looking prints (IMO) both in BW and color have been produced
by Leica lenses. I got out of the Leica system two times because of the
perceived cost/performance ratio and am now back into both the R and M Leica
systems.
The images just are more satisfying.  I gave up on resolution tests which I
used to do on all of my lenses because the picture quality is only marginally
related to that performance measure.
I have found generally that the high quality lenses from Japan have a hard but
sharp look about them but they lack information especially in the shadow
areas.  This difference is very noticeable with Kodachromes.  Further, Leica
lenses have no objectionable color casts in the shadow areas. In short, Leica
is doing something with their lenses which pleases me. Thus I spend the money.
Best regards,
Bob Figlio