Subject: Re: [Leica] Fwd: EMAIL VIRUS HOAX
From: CHKARNES <CHKARNES@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 01:56:37 EST

LUGers,

The following virus alert is a hoax. That type of warning has been floating
around cyberspace since 1984. You CANNOT GET A VIRUS FROM OPENING AN EMAIL
MESSAGE!! I refer you to the Website:

http://www.cnet.com/Content/Features/Howto/Virus/ss05.html

which was cited by America Online in its Virus 101 -- Keyword -- Virus. The
warning in the message to LUGers from Norman Milks describes getting a virus
in one of the three ways that is impossible to get a virus. NOTE: you cannot
get a virus by opening an email message. You CAN get a virus by downloading a
file that is attached to an email message, it the file contains an executable
program, that is, it is a file that has an extension of either *.exe or *.com.
But never by just opening an email message. Please do not propagate this
fraud.

Charlie