Subject: CRe: [Leica] help pls - tech pan dev. advise?
From: John Poirier <jpoirier@tailpipe.learnnet.nt.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:25:15 -0700

Dan Post wrote:

> Tahnks for the info- I'll see what shakes out. Sounds like an opportunity to
> play mad scientist and mix up some chemicals. If you see a low, dull glow on
> the horizon one night, figure I failed....   :)
> Dan'l

While you're playing mad scientist, you might want to try highly diluted
TMax developer for Tech Pan.

I had my best results by rating the film at 16, developing for 6 minutes
in TMax diluted 1:14 at 20 degrees C.

Unlike Technidol, I found that using TMax allowed me to use a relatively
standard agitation scheme- brisk agitation for first 30 seconds, 4 brisk
inversion/rotations every 30 seconds.

Develpment was much more even than I was ever able to achieve with
Technidol.  Tonal rendition was OK- very good for subjects with
predominantly dark tones- I did some fine rock pictures this way- but
lacking in tonal separation in higher values.  Snow scenes in relatively
flat light tended to look muddy compared to conventional films. (I shoot
a lot of snow scenes up here.)

I haven't used Tech Pan for a few years because I prefer the tonal
rendition of 100 Delta.

It may be possible to produce better high value separation by
fine-tuning dilution and time- I haven't gotten around to it.  (I also
experimented with 1:19 dilution but that seemed to result in
underdevelopment due to developer exhaustion.)

Good luck!