Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica TO-R scope adapter
From: "Christoph Held" <Held@biologie.uni-bielefeld.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 16:36:41 GMT+0100

You wrote:
> >I am aware of the fact that there will be a trade-off of some kind
> >(smaller field of vision, I would presume), but does anybody have
> >first hand experience he/she would be willing to communicate? I would
> >appreciate any input.
>

> Can you be specific in your queries?  I have one of these (as well as a
> couple of the earlier OSBLO's) and use it with some regularity.  The field
> is narrow, the optical quality is what is to be expected from Leica.  What
> more do you wish to know?
>
> Marc

Hi Marc,

in particular I would like to know whether the field of view is
narrow on absolute terms or in comparison to other "real" fieldscopes
with a similar magnification (say 30x, as I am going to use it with a
400mm lens)?
All scopes with such a magnification necessarily have narrower
field of view than a 10x40 (is this what you mean?) and I don't
expect Leica to make the TO-R a sort of wide angle eyepiece which
would be the only way to widen it a bit. Have you done any
comparisons? The brochure in front of me says that at 32x (in
connection with a 400mm lens) it has a field of view of about 30m at
1000m distance. The Optolyth scope which I usually carry has some 37m
at the same distance with a 30x mag. Does this seem reasonable to
you? Does it make sense to use the TO-R in the field or is it only a
weak substitute for a real spotting scope?

Thank you
Christoph Held
held@biologie.uni-bielefeld.de