Subject: [Leica] Summicron v. Nikkor; SLR v. RF (longish)
From: BBAIN@imnet.com (BBAIN)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:11:08 -0500

          Thib speaks of the "quality" difference between his mid-60s
          Summicron and his Nikkor.  Herewith a couple of thoughts:

          1.   Every lens is a compromise in contrast, resolution, color
          fidelity, and probably countless other parameters, including cost
          (at least to some degree).  It's pretty easy to see that there's
          a difference between an f2 Sonnar and an f2 Summicron, although
          both are fine lenses (typically).  "Better" is a term that begs
          the question, since the real question is whether the choices the
          manufacturer made are the ones that you would have made *for your
          type of photography*.  I have read. for example, that the
          (in)famous Leica "roundness" is a result of a conscious decision
          not to totally correct certain spherical aberrations.  Obviously,
          if your work involves architectural or other types of large plane
          surfaces, a different compromise *might* be in order.

          Having said that, there should be no discernible "vignetting"
          with a 50mm Summicron wide open (most likely we're talking about
          edge falloff here). The physics of making what was, even in the
          50's, merely a relatively "fast" normal lens were well understood
          and I doubt that any designer, let alone Leitz, would have
          tolerated visible edge falloff in such a common design, unlike
          the falloff seen in the "super-speed" lenses of the period (Canon
          f1.2, f0.95, Zunow f1.1, Nikkor f1.0, and even the Noctilux).  I
          have not seen any discernible edge falloff in my Summicron in any
          of the test rolls I shoot about annually to make sure that
          everything's working ok.

          It is possible that your Summicron is out-of-whack.  It is also
          possible that comparing a 1950's lens with a 1970s or 1980s lens
          is a bit unfair because of the advances in coatings which helped
          *all* manufacturers by making available increased contrast in
          multiple element lenses and allowing them to "redistribute" the
          above-mentioned compromises.

          If you've already done this, forgive me, but it would be
          enlightening to shoot a test roll or two of slide film on
          suitable targets when you get your M2 back to see if the problem
          is still there.  It might be even more enlightening to shoot the
          same test with another Summicron and another body and switch
          lenses and bodies to make sure that it is indeed a lens problem.
          Despite the "relative" simplicity of the M-series, it's still
          pretty doggone complex and anything can get out of whack given
          enough time!

          On SLR v. RF - I believe that one "sees" differently through a RF
          as opposed to a ground glass.  Because there are large portions
          of the GG that are out-of-focus, one becomes more aware of
          "masses". This is abetted because of the experience in viewing
          the field as a bright area surrounded by blackness.  In the RF,
          one becomes more focused on "lines" and being able to view what's
          going on outside the frame can be an asset (although there's not
          much room outside the 50mm frame on an M3!).  Both views are
          valid compositionally and what works depends on what you're
          shooting.  I've seen enough Leica Ms. Nikon SPs, Nikon Fs and
          Canon EOS's shoved in folks' faces to come to the belief that
          "confrontational" is a question of style, not equipment, although
          the sound of a motor drive has become the universally recognized
          sound accompanying a camera shoved up some poor subject's nostril
          by the paparazzi (sp?).  In that sense, the M series is less
          confrontational, not more.

          The delay between shutter press and shutter fire is real.  The
          Canon EOS RT with its pellicle mirror can be set for either 8 ms
          delay or 30 ms (so that it simulates the delay of the mirror in
          an SLR).  While I don't know what the delay is on an M-series,
          it's probably closer to the 8 ms, I would guess.

          Bottom line:  pick your horse for the course.  If the M system
          didn't have any deficiencies, there wouldn't be any need for the
          R system!

          OK, I'm off the soapbox now, who's next?