Subject: Re: [Leica] 180 2.8 R-lens - any experiences?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:54:11 -0600

At 05:27 PM 1/21/98 -0800, you wrote:

>In the meantime......I saw a used MINT 180/2.8 R lens at my
>local Leica dealer....I meant MINT.....the guy never used this
>lens.....they want $1300.  Is this a good used price for this lens?
>How is the performance of this lens compared to the 3.4?
>I know the 2.0 is the best 180, but which of the remaining 180s
>takes second place?  Does anyone have this lens, and can anyone

It's a great lens. I'ves owned three of them, and loved all of them. Wide
open it's not quite as good as the ApoTelyt but stop them down and the
difference goes away. And in close-focusing situations, it's better than
the Apo Telyt, and focuses closer to boot.

It also takes the Apo converter 1.4 which the Apo telyt 3.4 doesn't.

All in all, I think it's a better choice. And I paid $5 less than that for
my current Mint version. (Boy was a chagrined by Sam Soshan's post
yesterday for a ROM version for $1,495!) Get that one! It'll be worth the
extra $200.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

To say a human being is nothing but molecules, is like saying a
Shakespearean play is nothing but words.

Murphy's Law