Subject: [Leica] 180 2.8 R-lens - any experiences?
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 20:59:32 -0500

<<<I saw a used MINT 180/2.8 R lens at my local Leica dealer....I meant
MINT.....the guy never used this lens.....they want $1300.  Is this a good
used price for this lens?  How is the performance of this lens compared to
the 3.4? I know the 2.0 is the best 180, but which of the remaining 180s
takes second place?  Does anyone have this lens, and can anyone offer
ratings?>>>>>>

Francesco,

I've used both the 3.4 and the 2.8. Both very fine glass the, the 3.4 does
it's thing in relation to being developed for "spy satellites" or something
like that. So the glass is immpecable.

The 2.8 is the better of the two in relation to focusing closer and you can
use a 1.4 and 2X extender on it.  The 3.4 you can only use with the 2X,
which I found to be a problem, as well as not being able to focus as close
as the 2.8.

The price I don't have any idea.

But I guess if you have the dollars to buy and the price is right, I'd
recommend you go for it! You can't go wrong, because if you don't like it,
you can always sell it! :)

ted