Subject: Re: [Leica] Multiple Exposures w/ M6 & M3
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:58:24 -0600

>Emanuel wrote:
><<<This is how you do multiple exposures with M-cameras. It is easier to do
>than it is to explain..>>>>>
>Ted wrote:
>Using an ISO 100 film set your meter for example 400. You then make 8
>exposures one right after the other on the same frame. Then advance to the
>next frame and repeat say for 800, this equates to 16 exposures on the same
>frame.
I'm a bit slow on the uptake ... sorry. I don't get it, but I've done lots
of double exposures before, rating the film at twice the speed but
processing normally.  I have 100 ISO film, right? I set my meter at 400.
The camera now thinks my film is 4 times faster than it actually is.
(i.e., I might shoot at something like 1/125 @ f/8 instead of 1/125 @ f/4)
Each exposure on the frame then gets a 2-stop underexposure. So don't I
need to make 4 exposures on the frame instead of 8? Then at ISO 800, I'd do
8 exposures instead of 16.  What is the purpose of doubling the number of
exposures? Is there some cumulative reciprocity effect happening here?

- -GH