Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] deception -- None
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:21:12 -0800

> And I do not want automatic anythings.  And I do like small and quiet and
> minimum vibration andx  And there is no way I am going to carry big lens
in
> my pack as I ski and snow shoe and bicycle and in my kayak trying to keep
the
> gear dry. -- Dale R. Reed

> The reflex that would fill that bill is the Nikon FM -- any year. You
might
> equip it with a 35-70mm f3.4 Nikkor zoom. In that combination you have
> superior quality and light weight, plus a fully manual camera with a
great
> BTL meter, on which the M6's readout is based. Prior to the production of
the
> M6, I had written to Leica suggesting the FM's meter as an excellent
model
> for the M6.
>
> Bob

others to consider might be:

FM with 24-120
R6.2 with 35-70 f4 has spot meter, averaging meter & off the film flash
metering
Olympus OM3Ti with 35-80 f2.8
Contax S2 or S2b with 28-85 (this is supposed to be an excellent zoom lens)

for kayaking an AF SLR in one of those flexible plastic waterproof bags
might be the way to go.
for cycling where weight is important I use an Olympus IS10 with a builtin
28-110 (not exactly in the Leica league but it takes pretty good photos). I
personally find the ability to vary the focal length (which means a zoom if
you only want 1 lens) to be important for scenics. With an SLR you can also
take closeups and take along a teleconverter if you want.