Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 1.4 R lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:14:15 -0600

At 10:58 AM 1/22/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Does anyone else agree that the 35/1.4 is not that great wider than f/4, or
>is
>this a technical fault of mine?

Francesco. I would disagree. I liked that lens very much. At 1.4 in very
bright light it's vignetting is a bit disconcerting. But that is not where
you want to shoot at 1.4 with this lens.

I used to use it a lot at f/2 and 2.8 and never had any complaints. Very
sharp lens, nice and contrasty. But focusing is a bit tricky because of
narrow depth of field. There still might be a slight bit of vignetting at
f/2, but it's easy to correct in printing or Photoshopping. The benefits of
this lens, in my opinion, far outweighed its disadvantages.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There's no such thing as nonexistence.