Subject: RE: [Leica] Durst A600 Enlarger question
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:35:10 -0800

At 10:17 AM 1/23/98 +0000, you wrote:

>Gabe,
>I have an M800 enlarger and found difficulty initially too, the answer is to
>buy one of the sunken lens mounts which places the enlarging lens nearer to
>the film plane. They came in a variety of depths and with difficulty they
>can still be ordered new!
>
>Jem K

I hate to tell you this, but I think you have it backwards. To make smaller
prints, you move the enlarger head closer to the paper. When you do this,
you must move the lens FARTHER away from the film (closer to the paper) in
order to focus. Gebe needs extension tubes, not a recessed lens mount.
Omega makes long cones that you mount the lens on. Remember, the focal
length of a lens, is that exact distance from the film when focused at
infinity. Let's hope the easel isn't at infinity. Move the easel closer to
the lens, then the lens moves closer to the easel in order to focus. Think
about macro photography and it will be clear.

Jim