Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron-M 50mm or Summilux-M 50mm?
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:01:00

At 01:26 24/01/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Pascal - I'm going to mention a factor that was a deciding matter for me
>that had no relationship to the optics.  The focus helix on the 50 mm
>Summilux is very slow in comparison with the f 2.  To go from infinity to 3
>feet required repositioning my hands 3 times on the barrel much to slow.  I
>wrote Leica about this some years back and I don't know whether the latest
>ones are speeded up.  All my off topic SLR cameras all use very fast helix.
>The slow focus for accuracy argument doesn't hold, it just confuses the eye.
>
>  Jim

I found a way round this that makes the Summilux much faster to use- I had
a focusing lever made for me. It fits around the focusing ring of the lens
and tightens with a small screw and has a little handle projecting about 1"
so it is possible to focus it both quickly AND accurately. This lever is a
little longer and narrower than that of the Summicron and to my mind is
quicker in use. There is still a large focusing arc of course but it is now
manageable in more or less one movement.

Joe Berenbaum