Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 1.4 R lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:42:20 -0600

At 10:23 PM 1/23/98 +0100, you wrote:

>I personally wouldn't think of buying the Summilux-R 35mm f/1.4, because
>it's price is ridiculous in comparison to its rather uneven performance.
>The M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH plays in a completely different league. Price is
>almost the same, but here you really get value for money. Of cours, this
>doesn't help you if you want a lens for the R8. I would go for the
>Summicron-R 35mm f/2.0 if you want a 35mm lens.

Well, if you believe one magazine's tests, fine. But in real world
experience, I think after using two different copies of this lens over a 10
year period, I can say without qualification that it's an outstanding lens.
What the "lab" test show may seem like a big deal. But I loved that lens
and never hesitated to use it wide open when I actually NEEDED 1.4. In
comparison to Canon L series wide angle lenses, it blew them away.

Now that I use the 35 Summilux ASPH, I will say it's a better lens (not
THAT much), with much better control of vignetting. Other tests elsewhere
I've seen seemed to indicate to me that it's second only to the ASPH for
any 35mm lens around. Except for vignetting, it's better then the Summicron
R. That was before the 35 Summicron ASPH was around. No surprise, it's
closer to the film. But I would not hesitate to buy the Summilux R any time
if I really needed it.

Having said that, I'd love to see a 35mm Summilux R ASPH! (With a focusing
screen optimized for 1.4 <G>)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch