Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron-M 50mm or Summilux-M 50mm?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:48:26 -0600

At 12:18 AM 1/24/98 +0100, you wrote:

>I would not say that the Leica is 'bettered' by Zeiss or Canon as both
>these lenses are not very impressive at full aperture. If I would need a
>1,4 I should prefer the Summilux

Canon has never made an SLR 35mm 1.4 lens. Nikon has.

My experience is that the Summilux is better than the Summicron. But maybe
I had to very good versions? Jim Kuehl told me it was better which is one
reason I bought it. And I thought he was right. Again, that's ignoring the
vignetting wide open in bright light against even surfaces. Never bothered
me. When there was adequate light, I rarely used it wider than 2.8.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The secret of the universe is @*&^^^ NO CARRIER