Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Summicron problem
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 11:54:02 +0100

The radical solution is to leave the front lens cap at home in the lens box!
I protect my lenses with Leica or B+W UV-filters (and lens hoods attached).
In this way they are ready to use when I pick them up from my photo bag, and
they go back there as fast too. The best back lens caps are those that take
two lenses back to back. (Comes with the Leica photo bags, but can be
ordered as accessory. You may also glue two ordinary back caps back to
back). This allows fast switching of lenses.
As Jim and others have taught us, I will unscrew the filters for very
critical work. On these occasions I have time for that, as I usually will
use a tripod as well for that ultimate image quality.

I saw three photographers from one of the large Swedish newspapers the other
day. I was astonished to see them handle their expensive long tele lenses
for their Nikon F5:s. They used no rear lens caps at all, not even any caps
for their camera bodies. Just down with everything in the photo bag. I guess
they vacuum clean their bags every day, but I would never go that far,
having to pay for my gear myself.
/Hans