Subject: Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder Report
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 01:38:12 +0100

Stephen,
Have you ever used the electrical winder? I had a Winder-M for a few years,
but I never really liked it. I don't see many around either. Well, these are
my own reasons for not using it:

1) The trigger button pumps up and down while you shoot series of pictures
(It needs a gentle touch, and it felt awkward).
2) On my sample, the contacts in the battery chamber sometimes lost contact,
and it was useless.
3) It is very bulky, and with lots of plastic materials. (I like metal
better than plastics).

I like Toms rapidwinder better for these reasons:
- -It does not need batteries.
- -It is compact (I pack my bodies on the side, because I like compact photo
bags that don't bump into people).
- -It is a better construction than the Leicavit.
- -It is as strong and well built as the rest of the M-camera.
- -I always liked the Leicavit I had earlier, it was an integrated part of the
camera body.
- -The price Tom is asking is very reasonable.

Maybe there is a retro trend, but nevertheless, I have used M:s for more
than 25 years (M2 with Leicavit for many years), and will go on doing that,
the way I always have, trend or no trend. There are not many Leicavits
around anymore, and I am glad to have found a similar winder for the M6. It
allows me to use my left eye, and I get more frames to choose from on my
contact prints when things are going fast. Tom's winder is like an
integrated part of the body, not like an add-on thing like the M-winder.

But these are only my personal preferences. Anybody who feels like the
electrical M-winder would serve them better should try it out. The firm that
supplies them to Leica is in business again.
/Hans