Subject: Re: [Leica] Chance from R to Nikon?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 18:38:33 -0600

At 09:57 PM 1/24/98 +0000, you wrote:

>exspecially for the Nikon F90X and the 2.8 zoom lenses. Thinking about
>changing my R System to Nikon, I'll have a lot of questions: Will I be
>disappointed by the quality? What is the optical quality? Any experience?
>Is there someone using M6 and F90? Are there good and bad lenses in the
>AF range? And are the lenses in any way comparible with the Leitz M
>lenses?

Yes you will be disappointed. There's no way around it. It's the glass, and
Leica R lenses are simply better (for the most part) than Nikon glass.

And if you DO switch to non-Leica AF, go with Canon. The lenses are much
better. I switched form Canon to Nikon because of the F5, but then I
learned about Nikon's strategy with their new ultrasonic lenses which I had
figured would spread throughout the line. Forget it, it's never going to
happen. Nikon is second class and Canon has no intention of giving up its
technological superiority to them ever again. I made a mistake for a great
camera, and a mediocre company.

But I'll tell you, shooting with Leica SLRs now is great. Like shooting
with old friends. I'll never give them up again.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 -Robert R. Coveyou