Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 mm M lens comparisons (long)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 21:35:21 +0100

So, so.

And how got Leitz that reputation before they built the latest
M Summicron in 1980 ?

Certainly not because of the great loading system of it's screw
mount bodies [speciallly, if you keep in mind, that the pre-war
1.5/50 Sonnar was an excellent lens, and the Contax had a great
reputation also].

But, let's not speak of HCB's or Robert Capa's "low contrast,
fuzzy photos with lots of abberations murking about" - let's
switch the decades:

Sam Haskins, Will McBride, Jean-Loupe Sieff, Paul Fusco, etc. - all
took Leica pictures in the 60ies and 70ies. I do not think, that their
pictures are "low contrast, fuzzy photos with lots of abberations
murking about".

So, I don't understand what you are talking about.

But I admit, that I'm happy for/on (?) each sold lens of today.
Since the profit comes out of the lenses, not the bodies. Each sold
lens keeps a company going, which gives a lot of pleasure to all of
us each day.

Or do you suggest, that their workers are non-competitives also - when
you take the selling rates into account which continue to be dramatically
low ?

Alf