Subject: Re: [Leica] V-35 Prices?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 15:38:18 -0600

At 11:50 AM 1/25/98 +0100, you wrote:

>Remember the JSK Componon or Componon-S ? And, if we speak of the
>80 mm Componons - there was/ is hardly any other enlarger lens, which
>could show all the middle tones from an SWC FP4 negative.

I was comparing it to a Nikkor lens, not those awesome lenses. But the V35
with the 40mm focotar is such a wonderful combination, being optimized for
each other, it's a case of the sum being greater than the value of the parts.

>Besides, what happened to the old rule, that the focal length of
>the enlarger lens should correspond to the "standard" lens in
>negative formats ? Cancelled ?

It's just a rule of thumb. A 40mm lens allows for up to 16x20 enlargements
on the V35 baseboard in AF. And notice that Schneider also makes 40mm
enlarging lenses. There is essentially no falloff (1/10 stop center to edge
wide open fall-off) and sharpness is critical by 5.6. It's amazing the
pictures that thing makes, and you don't have to focus! What more could a
darkroom worker want?

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

God is REAL, unless explicitly declared INTEGER.