Subject: [Leica] 50mm Summicron R's
From: "Fred Whitlock" <afc@cl-sys.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 20:31:11 -0500

I've been reading with interest some of the exchanges about 50mm lenses.  I
recently acquired a Leica R system and I've sold off enough of it to get my
money out of it.  I'm deciding which of the final pieces to keep for
personal use.  There are two 50 Summicron-R lenses.  One is the Canadian
model with 55mm filter threads and a slide out lens hood.  I've tested it
and decided it is about as good as 50mm lenses get for 35mm SLR cameras.  I
also have an older, 2 cam, German made model with a snap-on lens hood and a
series VI filter ring.  I haven't tested it but my assumption is that it
might be more interesting to a collector than to a photographer.  I assume
the newer one is better optically and, certainly, it is very good.

I've been reading some descriptions here on LUG of older vs. newer Leica
50's and I'm trying to determine if those descriptions fit my two lenses.
I'm going to keep one and sell the other.  If I keep the older one, I'll
send it to Leica for conversion to 3 cam or, if not, I'll sell it.  I
haven't had very good weather to make comparative tests.  Is it worth my
while to wait to do so?  Thanks for any input.  I'm a real novice when it
comes to Leica SLR's.

Fred
Maplewood Photography
http://www.maplewoodphoto.com