Subject: Re: [Leica] V-35 and other enlarger stuff...
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 00:09:51 -0600

At 12:09 AM 1/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Eric,
>I guess you would know... I had heard that the reason there is a 39mm
>"standard" for enlarging lenses was that early on Leitz made their enlargers
>so that you could use the camera lens as an enlarger lens. Since some of

Actually, you can take apart the Dual Range Summicron to use it as an
enlarging lens, so I'm told. The idea was that the aberrations would
compensate for what they did to the film when the light went the other way.
Hmmm....some saleman must have been hitting the scotch when he said that one.

>What type of lens is the Focotar? Is it symetrical, in that the elements in
>the front mirror those at the back?

No, it's (the current 40mm 2.8) optimized for enlarging. And the prvious
50mm focotars are too. The Focotar II is particularly good, so I'm told.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Politics: Poli (many) - tics (blood sucking parasites)