Subject: Re: [Leica] supposed to be a Leica M group
From: "A S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 02:54:12 -0500

Richard H., Pascal, Jim,Ted, Lucian, Eric, Hans and all the other dedicated
Leicaphiles:
I find this  continuing discussion  about the LUG's charter tiresome and
useless. To the vast majority of the membership LEICA M or R is the finest
photographic equipment in the 35mm format bar none. Consequently, we should
cover both systems as well as screwmount cameras/lenses. I recall that for
many decades the various guidebooks, uncluding those  of Mr.Osterloh have
rightly pointed out the complementary nature  of the M and R systems.
It is my opinion that with the post-1970 lenses the M system is superior to
the R system in the focal length range  21 to 90(135?).
With the latest M lenses using Kodachrome 25 film the quality of slides
approaches that of slides taken with the legendary MF
Hasselblad camera. However, in telephoto and macro applications the R lenses
shine and are indispensable.
Therefore, my recommendation is a balanced blend of M and R:
            1.Get the best M body you can afford with a full  assortment of
the fastest lenses you need.
             2.Buy an R camera-late model R4 or above. Some duplication with
the M system is unavoidable. Thus, to economize  purchase 35mm and 90mm f2.8
Elmarit-R lenses, both optically outstanding and relatively inexpensive. In
addition get a 60mm f2.8 Elmarit-R macro lens which can also be considered
as a standard lens. Finally, you may want to complete your R system with a
180mm f2.8 or f3.4 R lens.
              3.Take  lots of pictures and  enjoy. If Aunt Anne leaves you a
fortune in her will consider  the 19mm  R or one of the apo teleextenders in
your next purchase.

         Regards, Andrew Jordan
35 miles south of LEICA USA(representing both M and R)