Subject: Re: [Leica] supposed to be a Leica M group
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:17:27 -0600

At 02:54 AM 1/27/98 -0500, you wrote:

>It is my opinion that with the post-1970 lenses the M system is superior to
>the R system in the focal length range  21 to 90(135?).

Your assumption would be incorrect in my opinion. There are R lenses in
this range that are as good or better than the M system. The new 28 for
instance is better than the new M 28 so I'm told. And though a tad outside,
the 19 Elmarit I'll stack up against ANY M lens. There is a definite trend
to better 35mm lenses on the M side with the ASPH lenses, but the last R
35mm lens was introduced in '84. So it's only a matter of time before the
next R 35 is out and again is tops over the M line. (After 10 years
experience with it, all "magazine tests" aside, I found the performance in
appropriate situations with the Summilux R was better than the next-to-last
version of the 35 Summicron M.

I have tried the concept of using M lenses in the 21-35 range, and R for
lenses outside that range. And I continually run up against the fact that I
wished in some situations that I had a R lens of 28 or 35mm focal length.

There's an ongoing debate on Compuserv'es Photoforum right now about the
accuracy of framing with the M6 and 50mm lenses. (Lord knows that doesn't
need to come here!) Ted will tell you that it's not a big deal. The M6
works as it should. But people expect of equipment a function in ways
that's not intended. Accurate framing, and relationships between near/far
subjects? Use the R system (or some lesser system <g>). Quick shooting with
precise framing taking a back seat to accurate focusing and quiet,
inobtrusive working? Use the M6(2,3,4xx,5).

So yes, most of what you say is right. They are complementary. But for me
that means really fast lenses on the M camera, where it shows its greatest
strength, but cover the whole range with the R as well. You never know what
film the camera will have loaded at any given time. And the M is more
likely loaded with film too fast.

This is for my style of shooting, not anyone elses.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math