Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters, again, very long.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 07:51:45 -0600

At 09:03 PM 1/26/98 -0800, you wrote:

> I mentioned the UV filter profit motive here on the LUG once, but got
> pummeled by many who obviously don't understand this fact. Some of those
> folks are still here. It'll be interesting to see if you get lashed as
> well. It's OK to get pummeled & lashed... everyone always kisses and
makes-up

Jim,

How could anybody doubt that? It is a well-known established FACT that camera
sales are not where they make money, but in accessories. That means
filters, as
well as never-ready cases, brushes, cleaning supplies and film.

And I was doubtful of the question of how rugged lens coatings are, because
Arthur Kramer talked about how delicate they are - and he's a guy who knows
what he's talking about. But in this case maybe there is a difference between
Leica and others?

Or are those Leica repairmen just cleaning like crazy so that cleaning marks
will show up and the owner will replace the lens? (Just a bit of conspiracy
theory there, I don't believe it).

Come to think of it, the only Leica lens I ever had that had cleaning marks
was
a very, very old Minolta-made 24mm Elmarit.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Men say they know many things; but lo! they have taken wings
The arts and sciences, and a thousand appliances
The wind that blows is all that any body knows.
  -Thoreau