Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 50 mm question
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:28:31 -0600

The Morgan & Morgan Leica Manual, Thirteenth Edition, Second Printing dated
November 1956 discusses the new 7 element Summicron which comes in a
collapsible screw mount as well as a new version for the M3 which comes in a
dual range focusing mount in which the lens element can be unscrewed.  The
manual shows one diagram for this lens and it appears to be the same as the
one for the Rigid Summicron shown in later literature.

I've always believed that the optical formula was identical between my
collapsible and Rigid Summicrons.

Bud Cook

Snip

>>Well, for starters, they have different lengths and thus MUST be a
>>different formula.  Harold Merklinger, a Canadian optical scientist, has
>>written on this -- see his web page for details:
>>http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/HMbook15.html
>>
>>For another, the COLLECTORS CHECKLIST TO LEICA CAMERAS lists a different
UK