Subject: [Leica] Storage Question
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:32:18 EST

This question may have been asked a long time ago, but not since I've been
receiving this list, so here goes:   What is the concensus among Leica
collectors (if there is a concensus!) as to how to store bodies (screw-mount
and M-mount)--with the shutter cocked or released?  I've heard that ( with
particularly the screw-mounts)  because the 2 curtain rollers are different
sizes and with the shutter released the curtain which is wound around the drum
is on the smaller drum, and that causes earlier cracking of the rubberized
surface; so even though keeping the shutter cocked puts more stress on the
spring, it is the lesser of two evils, so-to-speak.  What say the experts?