Subject: Re: [Leica] Advise on 21/2.8 or 24/2.8 Asp.
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:55:53 EST

If I had to choose only one lens wider than 35 I believe it would be the 24
because it is more versatile than the 21. Indeed this is exactly the case with
my Nikon system. In Leica, I already own a 28mm so I bought the 21 ASPH.
However, in your case I would still recommend the 21 because you include
Europe in your list of travel destinations.  If you will be photographing in
narrow streets of small villages or interiors of castles and such, I think you
will appreciate the extra field of the 21.  As for the economics, the
availability of  other brands of finders as well as used Leica (plastic)
finders well below the cost of a new 24mm finder help to level the approx.
$200 (US) difference in price.  I don't know if I'd trust going finder-less
with the 24 for travel photography.  It's pretty hard to see the entire 28mm
frame in an M6, let alone peering beyond it.  For in-your-face PJ shots where
edge framing isn't critical it might be ok, but for carefully-composed travel
images I'd use the add-on finder.