Subject: [Leica] Unusual Lens Demonstration
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:34:21 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

Interesting what impressions photographers have about the delicate coatings
on camera lenses.  I'll never forget the demonstration I saw in
Philadelphia in the late 1970's by a Nikon sales rep at a local photo show.

The personal demonstration put on was supposed to impress me.  The salesman
put out a cigarettte on the front surface of a 50/2 Nikkor lens, blew off
the ashes, rubs the lens clean and said - "See, this coating was
undamaged."

Next he took the same lens, put it on the ground and stood on it to show me
that there were no pins or extentions coming out the back of the lens like
their chief competitor - Canon lenses.

I was only 20 at the time (pre-optometrist days) but I had too much respect
for lenses to get a kick out of the demonstration.  I could only afford a
Canon F-1 mechanical  at that time with a 50/1.4 lens.  I would only dream
about owning Leica at that time.  I'm not a smoker but if I need an
ashtray, I'd buy one that didn't come from a camera company.

Then again, maybe Leica makes a commemorative ashtray made out of lens
rejects.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD