Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters, again, very long.
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:13:05 -0500

Francesco wrote:

<<<What about things collecting in the micro-fiber and leaving scratches on
the glass?>>>>>

Francesco,

you are over worrying about this cleaning thing.

if you need to clean a major smudge, just breathe hard on the glass, pull
out your shirt tail and use a circular motion and clean it off. And you can
do that several times until the lens is clean.

Or as Jim or whomever suggested, just use a lens cleaning cloth in a
circular motion. If your panicky about that,  buy 100 cleaning clothes and
use them once and throw it away!

Or as I have done on more than one occasion due to whatever got sprayed on
the lens, (beer, coke, salt water) to name a few.  Spit on the lens just as
many of us had our mothers spit on a small cloth and wipe our dirty faces
as kids, and wipe the lens clean. A little more heavy breathing and rubbing
and the lens is clean and unscratched.

You are definitely over concerned.  In all my years I have only had one
lens get a "zit" on it and that was due to working too close to an electric
welder and a molten spark from the welding rod landed on the 28mm lens. It
"burned a zit on the surface" but even when stopped down to 22 it wasn't
visible there was anything there.

I did however sell the lens to a buddy for a very good price and bought a
new one.:)  But other than that and with all the cleaning and rubbing my
lenses have had from western cowboy country, to the desert, the arctic and
on the oceans, I've just breathed hard and rub them clean and the images
just keep coming out as crisp and sharp and saturated as though the lens
was new! :)

I mean these are Leica glass lenses we're using, not the bottom of coke
bottles. :)

ted

The front element