Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic (slightly)
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 98 12:50:52 -0500

Michael Leitheiser wrote

>Need to do some kiddie basketball stuff....not what I do (color print).
>Have M6 and 35,50,90 chrons, 135 Elmarit
>FM and 75-150 E
>
>Indoors (Gym)....what is the quick and easy (no flash) color print film of
>choice for this kind of work?
>Mike Leitheiser

Mike,

Look into getting/borrowing/renting an 85 1.8, 105 1.8, 2.0 or whatever
the Nikon is or 135 2.0 or 2.8, and either 180 2.8 or 300 2.8 maybe able
to rent it for a day from a camera shop and use this on your FM.  The SLR
will work better for you for focusing than the M stuff.

If the location will let you, try sitting on the side of court across
from whatever team you are covering about as far out as the foul line
(this will vary depending on which lenses you get.  This way you can
shoot action in the corners and front court and get something other than
"armpit" shots of people as they shoot the ball --very boring and
expected basketball picts IMO.  Look for the ball to come loose, kids to
fight over ball tackling each other, things like that, which in kiddie
ball should happen fairly regularly.  Also watch the bench, sometimes the
bench players get VERY emotional and make good shots.  With your longer
lens you can shoot into the opposite end of the court and cover the
entire game from the one location.  If you MUST shoot M stuff shoot from
the ends near midway to the edge of the court and shoot kids under the
basket, they will all be in nearly the same areas and should be easier to
focus the M on maybe use the 50 or 90, I would shy away from the 135 on
sports on the M, to hard to keep up with action with I would think.

Also look to get shots of the coach with kids during timeouts, at Kiddie
stuff you should be able to get fairly close and get some cute shots this
way also.

For film look at either the Super G 800 or 1600 depending on how dark the
venue is.  Don't worry about color as all of the lighting should be the
same color wrong and can be fixed at the printing stage.

HTH.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto